In true military fashion, let me give you a list of what’s happening:
1. Today is my last day in the office as I’m on holiday from Weds to Fri and will be leaving for the mobilisation area on Monday.
2. I have so much packing to do that it’s frightening.
3. I will be spending a whole month in the mobilisation area (in the Free State, still in South Africa) and this is apparently worse than the deployment itself.
4. I will then be in Darfur until Christmas (at the earliest). The Colonel says he will do his best to get me back by then. And my replacement is getting ready to go so I’m going to trust that this will happen.
5. I am not feeling very well. Hopefully the holiday will help. L and I will be staying in a treehouse near Sedgefield. I’ll take pictures.
6. I’ll check in again from the mobilisation area. Maybe once I’m there I can start to see this an adventure.
7. Until then I’m seeing this as a bit overwhelming. The paperwork alone is staggering. And nominating beneficiaries in the event of something happening was a little depressing. But we’ll get through this. Chat soon.