Emily tagged me for this so another excuse to talk about myself (as if I needed one). I’m calling it the “Five Habits Meme”, although it actually started out as three habits. Makes me think of “7 habits for highly effective people”, which fits neatly with my interest in the self-help genre. I did my Master’s (mini)thesis on magazine advice columns and would still like to do a deconstruction of Dr Phil!
What was I doing 10 years ago?
I was a guidance counsellor at a high school in Cape Town. It was a really interesting job and I learned a lot in my two and a half years there. It was a bit overwhelming being thrown in the deep-end and having to try and coordinate between teachers, parents, students as well as teaching, presenting and doing sports coaching. One presentation that stands out in my mind was having to do a talk on the “Pros and Cons of pre-marital sex” to the entire Grade 12 year (about 120 students) and their class teachers! I hope the syllabus has moved on since then.
Five snacks I enjoy in a perfect, non weight-gaining world:
For me the non-weight gaining world is a reality – although hardly perfect. I’d like to pick up a few kilos. I generally eat healthily but I do have a fondness for apple cake, date slices, banana bread, mini-Bar Ones and pringle-type chips.
Five snacks I enjoy in the real world:
See above (also nuts, fruit, yoghurt, dried fruit)
Five things I would do if I were a billionaire:
1. Buy property (Emily’s idea of an apartment in Manhattan overlooking the Hudson river sounds perfect – maybe we can be neighbours; and then a house in Cape Town as well.)
3. Sponsor psychology projects in Cape Town
4. Sponsor deserving writers and other artists
5. Spoil my family and friends
Five jobs that I have had: (only five?)
1. Pizza delivery guy
2. Guidance counsellor at a high school
3. Bookshop employee
5. Researcher for an NGO
1. Running twice a week
2. Drinking many cups of tea a day
3. Radio station hopping when I’m driving (since SA radio DJs can be quite annoying)
4. Watching rugby (and the occasional ballet / theatre)
5. Keeping a journal (for book thoughts, dreams, ideas)
Five places I have lived:
1. Pinelands, Cape Town
3. Somerset West (still Cape Town)
4. Jane Furse, Limpopo province
5. Westdene, Johannesburg
Incidentally, the 7 habits (of highly effective people) are: be proactive; begin with the end in mind; put first things first; think win/win; seek to understand then to be understood; synergise; and sharpen the saw.